Tuesday 31 January 2017

January- Goals and The No Spend Year

I can't believe that the first month of 2017 is in the books.  This year is already flying by!  I have been working at implementing steps in order to reach my goals for this year.  I thought I would give you an update on how things are going.

Goal #1- Complete a No-Spend Year

This month went really well.  It was interesting for me to begin to identify my "triggers".  I like to buy a lot of "little" things, which all add up.  It was easiest for me to only go into a store if I needed something specific.  Otherwise, I avoided stores completely.  I replaced my mascara and face powder, but I stuck to my guidelines.  My face powder had run out in December and the mascara was old and clumpy.  We did buy a house this month, but we didn't count that in the no-spend year.  1 month down, 11 to go!

I took some proactive steps to help limit my desire to shop.  I unsubscribed from Texture (my online magazine subscription), I unsubscribed from emails and I began telling the people in my life that I intend to do a no-spend year.  All of these steps should help support me in the coming months.

Goal #2- Establish a Self-Care Routine

I made the most headway on this particular goal.  My Hubby and I decided that one evening per weekend would be devoted to alone time and one night per weekend would be for our date night.  We have these evenings planned for after Miss. E is in bed for the night, as family time is a priority for us (see Goal # 3).

I love having planned time to myself on the weekend.  I have fallen into a great routine on those evenings.  I generally have a bath with candles lit in the bathroom.  I do a hair mask with the deep conditioner that I have and a face mask with skin products that I already own.  I spend the rest of the evening watching YouTube videos, listening to podcasts, reading or watching a movie.  It is a refreshing routine and I am glad we implemented it.


I downloaded an app to help me track my water consumption and I have reached my goal most days this month.  I am still struggling with keeping up with my vitamins and I haven't strength trained as much as I would have liked.  These are things that I will work to improve in February.

Goal #3- Say Yes to Family Time

This goal has been going well.  We have not made plans on work days, we said no to a birthday party of an acquaintance (the guilt on that particular no is still nagging me, but I know it was the best decision for our family) and we booked our 2 family holidays for the summer.  It is hard to say no to certain things, but Miss. E is really enjoying the family time that we are carving out.



Goal #4- Start School in September

I have done absolutely nothing to help myself reach this goal.  Oops.

Goal #5- Learn more about traditional prayers and begin incorporating them into my prayer life.

I have done a lot of reading this month and have learned a lot of history behind the prayers in my church.  I have started to incorporate these prayers into my prayer life and so far I am enjoying the dimension it has brought to my faith.

Goal #6- Establish a routine for the blog and stick to the blog's vision.

This goal is coming slowly.  I have been trying to determine where I want to narrow my focus.  There has been a lot of brainstorming and indecision.  I think this goal will come along as the year goes on.

I feel like the year is off to a good start.  I am enjoying the changes I have made and I am looking forward to working on my goals more in the coming month!  How are your New Year's Resolutions going?




4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on having a successful no-spend month!! Identifying your triggers sounds like a great idea. Not going into stores has been very helpful for me in cutting back my spending too, as has unsubscribing from promotional e-mails. If I don't see it, I can't buy it, right? haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! I totally agree. If I don't see it, I won't buy it. Avoidance truly works best for me.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on not spending this month, and good luck for the rest of the year! This is something I need to do SO BAD. I also tend to buy a lot of little things, often when I'm feeling down or bored, and it really does add up. Maybe your progress will inspire me to take this leap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Indya! If you wanted to try it you could always do a no-spend week or month. A lot of people are really successful with those! Or you could dive in headfirst with me. Ha ha. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

      Delete